The Tuesday Night Bloggers: Book scouting John Dickson Carr (Part 1)

12784234_10206990403411371_1309856526_nA group of related bloggers who work in the general area of Golden Age Mysteries has decided to collaborate and publish a blog post every Tuesday as the Tuesday Night Bloggers. We began in the spirit of celebrating Agatha Christie’s 125th birthday anniversary. We’re now going to continue looking at a different Golden Age mystery writer each month; Tuesdays in March will be devoted to John Dickson Carr.

Book scouting John Dickson Carr (Part 1)

When I started preparing for this post, harvesting pictures of beautiful paperback covers from all over the internet, I knew after a few minutes there was going to have to be more than one post on this topic. JDC was a very prolific writer for a very long time, and most of his work has been through numerous paperback editions and even multiple translations.

The other thing that crossed my mind was — so much beauty here! Carr’s books are very dramatic and they seem like plum assignments for cover designers. I’ve deliberately eliminated hardcover editions from this collection but still, from the lurid to the salacious to the simply lovely, there is something here for every taste.

There are many Carr collectors and crisp copies of any of his books will generally find a resale market. Until the advent of e-books, the most difficult titles commanded a high price; as is common, his last few books (that showed a decline in quality) are very scarce in paperback or hardcover. Other valuable paperback collectibles are the Popular Library editions, especially with the covers by Rudolph Belarski (generally featuring large-breasted women in tight evening gowns), the earliest Pocket, Avon, Bantam, Berkley, and US Penguin editions, any copy of The Murder of Sir Edmund Godfrey, and of course the Dell mapbacks.

Part 1 will be covers as by John Dickson Carr himself. Part 2 will be titles under JDC’s major pseudonym, Carter Dickson, and I’ll insert a link here when I do the post.

11 thoughts on “The Tuesday Night Bloggers: Book scouting John Dickson Carr (Part 1)

1. Brad says:

Can I just say . . . Yummmm?

2. Some marvellous covers there Noah and I’m glad to say that I have at least half a dozen of them on my shelves. Hope to join in on this in a couple of Tuesdays!

• Noah Stewart says:

They are lovely, aren’t they? I have a bunch of these too, and have probably owned all the English-language ones over the years. You will be very welcome to join us in our salute to Carr!

• Thanks chum – I usually have my posts worked out about a month in advance but now that I know there is Carr involved it will have to jump the queue!

3. JJ says:

A great collection of art over the years, Noah, lovely to see so many of these in one place – really looking forward to the Dicksons.

Special mention to that To Wake the Dead cover in the pentultimate row…really does bring home just how weird the setup of that book is!

• Noah Stewart says:

I have reason to believe that everyone who accesses this post sees a different arrangement of pictures … not sure, though. But yes, some of them are more evocative than others. Look at the instances of Mad Hatter there to see there’s almost nothing in common, and yet all are kind of from the book!

4. Mike Tooney says:

Noah – These Tuesday Night Bloggers cyberklatches are a great idea, much more in-depth than the average “Gee, this was a great book” blog post, but without the spoilers so many bloggers let escape. I hope all of you continue with them (indefinitely, if possible).

• Noah Stewart says:

I’m probably one of those bloggers that lets spoilers escape, but I try to be scrupulous about warning people. But thanks for the very kind words and yes, I think it’s going well. Our little group represents a lot of knowledge about Golden Age mysteries, and I felt that we were paying lots of attention to the dusty backwaters and not as much to the main channels as people might be able to use. It’s more likely to get a new reader involved if we talk about John Dickson Carr, with dozens of books available at the local bookstore, than — Clyde Clason, or Pat McGerr, or whatever. Nothing against either of them, but there’s more people interested in Carr!
      I do hope to keep the list going with new names like Christianna Brand once we hit a year’s worth of posts. Any suggestions?

5. […] Noah Stewart, Noah’s Archives: Book scouting John Dickson Carr (Part 1) […]

6. These are fabulous Noah,even better than your past collections. The pictures just make me want to read or re-read all of them. I’m loving having the excuse this month.

7. […] Part 2 is covers under JDC’s main pseudonym, Carter Dickson. Part 1, with illustrations of paperbacks as by John Dickson Carr, can be found here. […]